Do you ever look at the streams of cute items on Pinterest and get overwhelmed? I felt that way when I was pregnant with our third baby! Maybe it was because she was my first baby girl or maybe it was the moving boxes that still littered the hallway. Either way, those nesting instincts made me all kinds of pinterest crazy. As a photographer I knew that I wanted to have those cute nursery room pictures so I started to plan. I wanted to do something classic with the design because we are in a really old Farmhouse. I wanted something in her room that sparked delight, made her feel loved from the moment her eyes could focus. If she took after me at all, something pretty and floral would feel like a visual hug. Tutorial for floral mobile below!
I instantly fell in love! But… Luke and I are Dave Ramsey people and this $100 visual feast was not in the budget so I had to find another way. So, I would frequently visit the page, drool over it, and day dream about the pretty floral mobile! In the meantime I was petitioning Luke to change out her light fixture, install a water filtration system, and spontaneously ripping out all the carpet in the house. Luke is seriously the best! Always game for anything that is labor intensive but he doesn’t budge when it comes to budgets!
“I’m the pedal, he’s the brakes” is probably the best way to put it.
Let’s just say there was a lot on the wishlist and the pretty floral arrangement was farther down the list from clean water.
Sometimes in my pregnancy there is a couple special days where I don’t feel sick, I have a little extra energy, and I really want to complete a task! That day struck and I suddenly knew I had to try my hand at making a floral mobile. I started looking at silk flowers $$$ and ended up going for coffee filter flowers $. 1 evening of dying the filters, one day of cutting them up and gluing them together, and tadaa!
I had my mobile and my clean water too! 😊
Dye coffee filters, cut out the petals and leaves. Create the mobile frame with wire, sticks, and flowers with wire core. I intertwined these with 3 key points as the support points. Those were the points that I added the ribbon to hold the mobile up. Make sure your base is strong and that even a shake doesn’t cause it to come apart. Tightly winding wire around the joints really helps with this
I then started to cover up the joints with the biggest flowers, clustering them in little groupings. I hung the mobile from my kitchen chandelier so I could see what it looked like from below, then I positioned the clusters so every angle looked nice.
Finally, I dangled small flowers from the mobile with fishing line!